Special Guest: Pampered Chef Cinzia
Special Guest: Eric Peterson, NYC Parks Rockaway Administrator
Due to COVID-19, our annual social fundraiser will be held virtually with a frozen treat making class. Reserve your spot by making a donation today! Can't attend the class? We will have dog friendly frozen treats for purchase.
We are starting to reorganize and want to hear from you! Please take a moment to fill out this short survey. We promise it won't take long!
Responsive to ongoing overcrowding and in effort to manage social distancing, Mayor Bill de Blasio has ordered all of the City's dog runs/parks closed until further notice.
Please pass word to any dog run users and allies that Freeway Dog Park will be closed for the time-being. We are hopeful that the COVID situation will resolve soon, and NYC will be able to reopen the dog parks! In the meantime, other parks remain open, and off-leash and pooper-scooper rules are in effect.
NYPD and Parks Enforcement Patrol are out in parks ensuring New Yorkers follow social distancing guidelines.
Please check NYC Parks website for changes to service and closures (nyc.gov/parks)
Thanks for working with us, and all of your neighbors, to keep everyone safe as we battle this virus! We will continue to work with Parks to provide updates when available.
We got confirmation that the tree planting in the dog run will take place Tuesday and Wednesday, January 7 and 8, weather permitting. Due to the workers and machinery present and the holes in the ground, the run will need to be closed when they are working, from 7am-330pm each day. Parks will post signs. Please spread the word.
Here are the rules we've proposed to the Parks Dept to post at our park and still awaiting an answer. This is based off of NYC basic rules, rules that have been discussed with other dog groups around NYC at meetings and forums, and pain points told to us by Freeway Dog Park users. If you experience someone not following the currently posted rules, or an agressive dog or owner, please call the 100th precinct:(718) 318-4200.
Proposed Park Rules and Guidelines by NYC Dog Park Groups
1. Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by them. Cooperation between dog owners is essential.
2. All dogs must be properly licensed, vaccinated, and healthy. No puppies under 4 months.
3. Dogs must always wear a collar and ID tags. No prong, choke, or spike collars may be worn inside the park. Owners must have a leash. Unleash and re-leash your dog within the double entry gates to avoid fights.
4. No dogs without humans or humans without dogs. No more than 3 dogs per person.
5. Owners must clean up after their dog's waste and must fill in holes dug by their dogs.
6. Dogs showing aggression towards people or other animals must leave. Avoid bringing a dog with a history of aggressive behavior.
7. Owners must always supervise and control their dogs.
8. Dogs in heat are not allowed inside the park. Spaying or neutering your dog is strongly suggested to avoid fights.
9. No food in the park. No glass containers allowed. Waste should be thrown in proper receptacles.
10. Parents bring children to the park at their own risk. Please do not bring children under 5 to the park for their safety. Children under 13 must be supervised by a guardian. Please keep children off agility equipment and discourage activities that may excite the dogs. No bikes, skateboards, roller blades, scooters, or roller skates permitted inside the park.